21st Century Job Shopping tips by Susan K. Maciak, CEO of CAMEO Consulting:
- PLEASE DO NOT MAIL OR BRING COPIES OF YOUR APPLICATION, RESUME, TRANSCRIPTS to us
- DON’T SEND LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION or ADDITIONAL SUPPORT DOCUMENTS unless requested.
- UNSOLICITED HARD COPY DOCUMENTS WILL BE DISCARDED
- NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
These common warnings appear often on company web sites and commercial job-seeking sites, such as Indeed, CareerBuilder or Monster.com.
Simply put: Employers no longer want people to apply in person. “So how am I supposed to get a job?” you ask.
Go online. Companies often won’t even consider paper resumes or cover letters anymore, so forget mailing them, too. The place to find a job today is on the internet:
- Go directly to each employer’s website to apply for jobs.
- Look up job openings on the internet by key word and location.
- Email your cover letter and resume directly to the HR Department.
For more tips on 21st century job-seeking, check out CAMEO CAREER SERVICES at www.cameocareer.com